I was going to wait until I'd finished knitting this Sockhead hat (free pattern on Ravelry) before posting this, but at this rate, I figured I'd go ahead and post or I never would. I'll try to add an updated picture once I finish.
I used Jacquard Acid dyes and Knit Picks Bare Stroll Fingering yarn.
First of all, I mixed my dye solution. I used 1 teaspoon of dye powder per 1 cup of water. The colors I used were: Sky Blue (621), Yellow Sun (601), Fire Red (618) and Jet Black (639). I used white vinegar to set the dye.
I used an old medicine dispenser to measure out the dye solution using ml.
I twisted the yarn into a 2.25-yard skein and left it like this during soaking and also during the first step of the dyeing.
1. I added 20 ml of yellow to the dye pot.
After applying the yellow, I gently squeezed out the water, untwisted the skein, and retwisted it so some of the un-dyed yarn was exposed.
2.) I added 16 ml of red. In my notes, I wrote this was too much, maybe half this amount would suffice. Probably because the dye water never turned clear. Because of this, I changed the water before adding the next color.
I removed the skein, squeezed it out, untwisted, then I gently tied 3 slipknots.
3.) I added 30 ml of blue to the pot.
My pan is shallow, and the water doesn't cover all of the yarn.
After removing the yarn from the blue pot, I squeezed it out (gently, of course!) untied the slip knots, and retied it into a single overhand knot.
4.) Finally, I added 30 ml of black to the pot. I wrote in my notes maybe 20 ml would have sufficed. Always better to add less in the beginning because you can't take it away later.
As you can see, not all of the yarn is submerged. I honestly can't remember if I stirred it a bit or left it this way.
Before and after the addition of black:
That's how I did it. Cheers!