Friday, June 27, 2014

Moving, Frogging, and UFOs

I have not knit or sewn or done anything remotely creative in about three weeks. We moved into a new place about a week ago, and I've been blaming the move for my lack of motivation. Current unfinished objects, stuffed sadly in a drawer:



Fledging Featherweight by Hannah Fettig

I can't get over how adorable this cardigan is. It's the kid version of Hannah Fettig's Featherweight Cardigan, which is so popular on Ravelry that over 6500 projects have been uploaded.

It's a top-down, raglan construction, and I'm using Malabrigo Lace in the Damask colorway.

I've completed the body and only need to knit the sleeves and collar band.

Fledgling Featherweight by Hanna Fettig



Take-Me-Home Swaddle Blanket by Marie Connolly

Take-Me-Home Swaddle Blanket by Marie Connolly

I've been working on this little beauty for almost two years now. I originally planned to put this in my hospital bag, but that obviously did not happen.

This blanket is worked in the gorgeous linen stitch that looks and drapes like a woven fabric. I'm using Knit Picks Comfy Fingering (cotton and acrylic blend) with two strands held together. Colors are Marlin and Bison.

So far I've knit 70,000 stitches on this thing. 


The pattern can be found in Connolly's book, The Expectant Knitter.





How I Make My Socks by Susan B. Anderson

Susan B. Anderson is one blog that I make sure and read every time it shows up in my inbox. She is such a delightful person and her patterns are so adorable. If you need a bit of sock knitting inspiration, check out her Instagram pictures.

I'm knitting this plain 'ole pair of vanilla socks for my size 9 feet. Plain socks are the best because you don't have to think much while you knit. And socks are the best project for portability.

The yarn is Patons Kroy Socks FX in the Celestial Colors colorway.

You can find the free pattern here.

How I Make My Socks by Susan B. Anderson




Princess of Hearts by Deborah Newton


Princess of Hearts by Deborah Newton

I checked out the book Heirloom Baby Knits from the library and jumped right in to making this adorable cardigan featured on the cover with eyelet-lace hearts. 

After knitting about 3 inches on this thing, from the bottom edge up, I realized that it was way too wide. Almost 34 inches! That would fit one of my adult sisters. That's what I get for ignoring the little voice in my head telling me to swatch. 

I sadly frogged the project (rip it!) and returned the book to the library. I figured I have plenty of projects to work on, and I can always get the book some other time.





A couple of months ago I finally received my belated Christmas present in the mail. A Schacht Ladybug spinning wheel:



I admit that I did get frustrated a lot at the beginning and had to walk away for a few days. I imagined something much more peaceful and relaxing than what I experienced during those first few hours. But, I persevered and it got easier as the bobbin began to fill with my over-twisted thick-and-thin yarn. 

My first finished bobbin

I practiced with 4 oz of bare wool from Knitpicks. I need a few more tools in my spinning repertoire such as a lazy kate and niddy noddy in order to make 2- or 3-ply yarns as well as wind the finished yarn into hanks. Right now the Bug is sitting patiently in the corner waiting for me to oil her and start back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment